Due to precautions related to COVID-19, we have expanded our options for remote consultations. Please contact our office to discuss whether a full phone consultation or video conference is appropriate for your situation.

What are your responsibilities after a semi crash?

On Behalf of | Feb 24, 2017 | Truck Accidents

After a crash with a semi, you may choose to seek recompense for medical expenses or vehicle damage from the commercial carrier involved. First, however, you and the truck driver accountable for the crash both have some responsibilities at the scene of the accident under Kentucky law.

According to the Kentucky Revised Statutes, when you are in a crash with a semi, you must stop immediately—even if you are not at fault—to determine the extent of the damage that has occurred. In accidents that do not involve extensive vehicular damage, injuries, fatalities or the transportation of hazardous materials, you and the truck operator should move the vehicles off the roadway to a location as close as possible to the scene of the accident.

If the accident results in injury, death or significant property damage, you are required to contact law enforcement as soon as possible. Furthermore, you are expected to render reasonable assistance if you are physically able to do so. This includes providing or making arrangements for transportation to the hospital for any involved persons who require treatment. In this instance, neither you nor the other driver should move your vehicles away from the site of the accident until medical assistance has arrived and/or law enforcement has completed necessary investigations.

If injury, death or vehicular damage exceeding $500 has occurred in the accident and law enforcement does not investigate, you must file a written report with the Department of Kentucky State Police. You should submit this report within 10 days of the incident.

Last but not least, you are expected to exchange all relevant information with the truck driver, including vehicle registration numbers, and insurance and contact information.

This information is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended to serve as legal advice.